The department of mass media in the KIU was organised in 2002.
Basic courses read by the department:
- Mass communication theory;
- Communication theory and practice;
- Ads and PR;
- Mass communication sociology;
- Social communications;
- The world press services and information agencies;
- Mass media marketing;
- Theory and methods of creative journalism;
- Ads and PR creative;
- Journalists’ management and marketing;
- Information policy and security;
- Creative journalism psychology.
The department provides teaching of such professional and practical disciplines:
- Extreme Journalism;
- Ethics of professional communication;
- Public Relations;
- Cultural Studies;
- History of Ukrainian Culture;
- Anthropology of culture;
- Communication Technology;
- Cultural, Spiritual and Religious Traditions of World Countries;
- International communication;
- Organization of Editorial Work in Market Economy;
- Organization and Running an Advertising Campaign;
- Basics of the scientific research;
- The basics of Public Relations;
- Advertising and PR-creative;
- PR tools in politics;
- PR-tools in international relations;
- Reporter's Work;
- Sociology of Mass Communication;
- Theory of Mass Communication;
- Theory and Practice of Communications;
- Oral speech technique in the media (practical course).
- Research Methodology of Social Communications;
- International relations and media;
- Media monitoring and information models;
- Public Relations;
- Applied Social and Communication Technologies;
- Theory and History of Social Communications;
- Philosophy of Culture and Artistic Perception of Works of Art.
The improved level of professional training is achieved due to various types of practical training with the aims:
- To upgrade students’ skills in mass-media jobs, to participate in providing coordination between sections in the editorial office or a company;
- To take part in mass events in the editorial office or a company;
- To appear in the press or on air with one’s own materials;
- To carry out a research to provide functioning of a certain mass-media type with the results to be used in one’s bachelor or master thesis.
The prospective journalists acquire skills while undergo practical session in mass-media or ads firms.
Research work is an important component in the department’s activity
Main directions of academic research are the following:
- Information processes and the society in Ukraine: joining the European and global information space.
- Inmutation of the society due to social-and-communicative technologies.
The faculty supervises the work of post-graduates and doctoral candidates, whose specialty is 10.01.08 - journalism.
The department publishes collected articles: “the Herald of KIU”, the series: “social communications, journalism, media linguistics, cinema-and-TV art”.
The department organized and supervises the work of research teams:
- social communication in Ukraine in the context of world science;
- metatheory manipulation;
- social communication technologies;
- network communication theory
The department provides master-classes for students with well-known Ukrainian and foreign journalists, media managers, experts in ads and PR.