Institute of Linguistics and Psychology
Olena O. Nagachevska
Director of the Institute, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor.Institute of Linguistics and Psychology provides training of specialists in:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Master’s degree.
- Philology (English);
- Education sciences;
- Secondary education (English).
- 035 – Philology (Germanic languages).
There is a double degree program on specialty "Philology» (WSB, Poland).
Educational process in the Institute of Linguistics and Psychology is provided by 4 departments:
- Department of Germanic Languages and Translation.
- Slavonic Philology and General Linguistics Department.
- Psyhology and Pedagogy Department.
English is a working language at the Institute of Linguistics and Psychology: theoretical and practical training, seminars are conducted in English.
Among the teaching peculiarities at the Institute of Linguistics is a profound study of two foreign languages, one of which is English (obligatory). Students who have excellent marks in the first two foreign languages, have an opportunity to learn a third foreign language.
«Learn a new language and get a new soul». This English proverb highlights the importance of learning foreign languages, which open the way to the knowledge of new cultures. Thus, it is the main goal of the studying at the Institute of Linguistics.Educational and methodological support for teaching foreign languages
Foreign language teaching is based on the methodology of professor Kh. Khachaturian – an outstanding Ukrainian philologist who is also the University Rector. His methodology relies on a communicative approach which involves modeling real communicative situations in typical communicative contexts. This helps to create real environment for oral and written communication.
Institute of Linguistics and psychology provides up-to-date technical and material support (audio- and video equipment, scientific and educational literature etc.). Classes are conducted in properly equipped lecture halls, classrooms, computer laboratories, specialized classrooms (e.g. linguaphone classrooms, country-studying classrooms with satellite TV).International co-operation
Institute of Linguistics and Psychology participates in the following international projects:
- Annual bilateral seminar on theory and methodology of translation, in which lecturers of the Theory and Practice of Translation Department and translators of the company Siemens AG (Munich) take part.
- Annual International scientific and practical seminar with the Association of Translators of Ukraine "The only requirements to provide translation services and translation design.”
Students of the Institute of Linguistics and Psychology have an opportunity to practice the English language and study abroad directly in the language environment, namely:
- in England - Centre for English Language studying Eurospeak Language School;
- in higher educational institutions in the USA through Edmund Muskie’s program and the program of international exchange of IREX (International Research and Exchange);
- during summer courses of the Spanish language on the agreement with the Chamber of Commerce (Soria) at the University of Valladolid and at the University of Malaha (Rondo) by agreement with educational centers;
- during summer courses of the Italian language.
Germanic Philology Department directs its work to improve the quality of scientific training in the field of foreign languages. Department has a Post-Graduate division on the speciality “Germanic languages”. Germanic Philology Department regularly holds conferences on the problems of philology, which allow to exchange experiences, develop ways of improving the forms of research.
Theory and Practice of Translation Department maintains intensive creative relationships with specialized departments of different universities, and also with leading institutions of Translators Association of Ukraine, the Office of Information and translation of the company Siemens (Munich), translators and lecturers of the Language Institute in Munich (Fremdspracheninstitut Munchen).
Romanic Philology Department creates new university programs in all subjects of Philology, as well as textbooks and manuals used in the academic process for learning French and Spanish languages. Teaching staff has annually overseas travel trips and internships in France and Spain. Lecturers of the department maintain close scientific and cultural ties with the French Cultural Center (Kyiv), with higher educational institutions in Spain (University of Barcelona, Valencia) and Portugal (Institute named after Kamoesh). 5 student groups function at the department. The best reports prepared by students are presented at the annual student conferences.Non-academic activities of students
Students participate in activities related to weeks of culture of a particular country whose language is studied, namely: the week of English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese and Arab culture.
Student meetings with representatives of embassies of the United States, Germany, France, Spain, Argentina, China and Japan have already become traditional. Students are given an opportunity to listen to lectures on topical issues of our lives, interesting discussions and round tables are held.
KyIU is your road to success!